Position Specifications: Full-time, Draw + Commission, Transitional Salary
Company Overview: SeQuel Response (www.sequeldm.com) is a full-service, performance-based direct marketing firm that effectively combines creative intelligence, database marketing strategies, sophisticated testing methodologies and efficient execution to help clients achieve their next level of performance and profitability.
Backed by proven factorial multivariate testing methods and data science, SeQuel has the tools to meet and beat client ROI target goals. We are obsessed with finding new prospects and customers for our clients’ while at the same time continually driving down their cost-per-acquisition. As one of the country’s fastest growing direct marketing agencies, SeQuel Response has helped our clients’ add 2 Million new customers and almost $1 Billion in total revenue since 2010.
Today, many Fortune 1000 companies have minimal presence in multiple direct marketing channels. SeQuel has a history of taking those select companies, who have never had success in direct mail and/or digital media, and turning those previously non-productive marketing channels into large new customer generators. We have earned an industry-wide reputation as an agency that can drive new revenue from scratch via multiple direct marketing channels in a matter of months.
At SeQuel Response we believe data is king. What sets us apart is our proven proprietary FaQtor Test Methodology which yields data-driven indexes (aka performance predictions), which quickly and cost-efficiently boost chances of finding winning campaigns. Our proprietary sQoreboard analytics engine measures performance in real-time by analyzing over 200 million campaign metrics. This data science allows us to continually test new files of all types and new creative strategies which seek to unseat control packages—thus boosting sales rates and pushing significant scale within profitable metrics.
SeQuel Response has been recognized three times on the Inc. 5000 as one of the fastest growing private companies in the United States. Our success comes from believing in the perfect intersection of art and science which produces proven marketing and continual returns.
Position Profile: The Director of Business Development—East Coast position provides a unique opportunity to join one of the fastest growing direct marketing agencies in the country—with realistic opportunities for uncapped sales earning potential.
This sales leader will be responsible for executing SeQuel’s business development initiatives to targeted organizations on the East Coast of the U.S. You will foster relationships and meaningful alliances by building new business pipelines with key C-Suite decision makers in targeted industries including financial services, insurance, medical/healthcare, auto, hospitality, telecommunications and retail verticals.
Reporting to the VP, Business Growth Strategy, this role requires an individual whose career has consistently been on an upward trajectory and who has a thorough understanding of sales processes, procedures and methodologies that includes multi-step solution based selling. The Director of Business Development—East Coast will be a consistent performer with a strong knowledge of direct marketing platforms and business models and an ability to translate complex direct marketing concepts into concise yet informative messaging to C-Suite executives.
- Run primary and secondary research to uncover raw leads that “fit” SeQuel’s primary target markets. Pre-qualify those raw leads.
- Individually prospect, pitch and close sales of targeted Fortune 1000 companies based on the specific characteristics of SeQuel’s “ideal profile prospect.”
- Contact pre-qualified prospects (companies) to confirm potential fit and uncover possible needs for SeQuel services (in-person/phone/email/etc.).
- Follow through with persistent phone/email/letter contact strategy aimed at decision makers at prospective clients to set intro meetings or capabilities presentations.
- Lead discovery sessions to identify prospective clients’ key needs and pain points.
- Work with prospective clients’ in a consultative fashion to develop a direct marketing strategic vision and position SeQuel Response’s offering as an instrumental part of that vision. Develop a strong understanding of the prospective clients’ businesses in order to demonstrate how SeQuel’s direct marketing deliverables can assist them to achieve their business objectives.
- Present SeQuel deliverables, case studies, custom analysis and product demonstrations that highlight the value SeQuel’s direct marketing brings to the client.
- Build proposals, give presentations, build tests, service accounts, close accounts, grow accounts, gain referrals, etc.
- Maintain a strong pipeline of potential business.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of sales experience in direct marketing, direct mail/print, database marketing or digital marketing sales is required.
- Possess a network of high level marketing contacts in targeted industries including financial services, insurance, medical/healthcare, telecommunications, auto, hospitality and retail verticals.
- Working knowledge and application of sales methodologies, processes and procedures. Track record of successfully up-selling high value, complex technology or data services.
- Strong results with a proven history of creating and increasing revenue by using consultative selling and closing techniques. Adept at a longer business sales cycle— multiple step (RFP, Test, Marketing Overview etc.)
- Strong business and financial acumen, successfully applied to distinguish between revenue opportunities that can yield material result and those that hold little promise of success.
- Computer skills in an MS Windows environment. Should be proficient in the use and management of sales database tracking programs, and the use of MS Office.
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent experience required.
- Travel as required.
- Operating within SeQuel’s company cultural values of transparency, success, partnerships, innovation, supportive culture, responsiveness and stewardship.
- Treating all employees as part of the team (with courtesy, dignity, and respect).
About Your Background:
- You are a dynamic seller with 5-7 years of experience who is client focused with a strong background in direct marketing data driven sales and an in-depth knowledge of the direct mail and digital advertising ecosystem.
- You possess strong characteristics of integrity, unselfishness, drive and work ethic.
- You are analytical, assertive and internally motivated.
- You have a demonstrated track record of leadership, hitting and surpassing sales targets and creating and growing revenue around high-value technical direct marketing solutions. Bottom line—you are a strategic closer that wants to be a part of a booming marketing company that is growing fast on the Inc. 5000 list.
- You are a high activity hunter who holds a rolodex of current and target clients.
- You come from a direct marketing or data focused selling environment – pursuing titles such as VP Sales, VP Marketing and Chief Revenue Officer.
- You have a keen understanding of sales pipeline management with a large volume of target clients in pipeline. You have a strong “above quota” sales background.
- You have a unique ability to influence and persuade C-Suite executives.
If interested, please click the link below, attach a professional CV or resume, and address all communications to:
Co-Founder & CEO
A cover letter (explaining how your experience and skills match up with the position’s requirements) is also encouraged and appreciated. If you choose to write a cover letter, please attach a single PDF that includes both your resume as well as your cover letter. Thank you!